Top Ten Tuesday (TTT) brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish.
April 18: Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want To Read A Book — basically any topic or theme or ANYTHING (ie if X person recommends it) that will make you instantly want to pick up a book.
This is a fun topic this week! We all have those key words, phrases, or even authors that make us instantly pick up a book, no further investigation required. You know, your book bait.
My Laws of Attraction
- Time Travel. I love to read books with time travel. I think this is my #1 this week. I cannot resist the allure of time travel.
- J.K. Rowling. If it’s got her name on it, I want it.
- History with a Twist. Not an “official” term that publishers use. But this is what I call it, anyway. You know, when the book is 90% historically accurate, but the author puts that little twist in there that sets a totally plausible mystery/treasure hunt/race to beat the bad guys to save the world scenario into motion. A la The Da Vinci Code or one of Steve Berry’s Cotton Malone adventures.
- A Twist “you won’t see coming.” Girl on the Train. Gone Girl. Gone Without a Trace. You get the idea.
- Characters who Love Books. I know right away we have something in common.
- Vampires. What can I say? I’ve got a soft spot.
- Set in the 1980’s. I grew up in the ’80s, and I love to read books set in this time period. (Examples include Eleanor & Park and Sue Grafton’s Kinsey Milhone series.) Or with nods to ’80s pop culture. (See: Ready Player One.)
- Local Authors. I love to support local authors, especially those who set mysteries right here in Colorado!
Audio Book Specific
In addition to the list above, I have two other things that can make an audio book a must-listen.
- Memoirs read by the author. Especially funny ladies – Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Ellen DeGeneres, Mindy Kaling. You get the idea.
- Anything Read by Jim Dale. If it’s read by Jim Dale, you can guarantee I’ll listen to it.
What about you? What is it about a book that makes you immediately read it (or add it to your list)? Sound off below, and link up to your own TTT if you’ve got one!