Top Ten Tuesday (TTT) brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish.
April 25: Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book (topic originally done back in 2013) — tell us all your book turn offs!
Last week, we took at look at what attracts us to a book. But what about the opposite? What makes you pass up a book?
The Laws of Book Rejection
Two years ago, we did a similar topic – Top Ten Books I Will Probably Never Read. Reading people’s lists, I saw a lot of Stephen King on there. A LOT. And I anticipate the same for this week. For those of you who have read Mr. King’s work and aren’t a fan – I get it. We all enjoy different things. For those of you who haven’t read anything by Mr. King, I encourage you to check out my post There’s More to Stephen King than Horror.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand…what books do I pass by in favor of something else?
Books I am unlikely to pick up.
These books I pretty much always say no to.
- If there seems to be any remote chance that a dog will die. I will never, ever read Marley & Me.
- A steamy cover. I don’t mind a love story, but the true romance genre is just not my thing.
- A woodsy memoir. A la Wild. I’m just not an outdoorsy gal.
- Books about war. In general, I don’t pick up books about war. They are too upsetting for me.
These books are not my first choice. Or my second.
Not that I won’t read these, but it has to be the right book, or my mood needs to be right.
- Books set during/about WWII. I really have trouble reading books set during WWII. I get upset thinking about all those young men and what they went through in battle. I get upset thinking about the Jewish people and the torture and death that these innocents faced. I will occasionally read something (fiction or non-fiction) from this time period, but it is few and far between.
- Tearjerkers. ie The Fault in Our Stars (which I did read, but it took a long time for me to pick it up). If I know it’s going to be sad, I really have to be in the right mindset.
- Dystopian. It depends on the book. I have no interest in The Hunger Games. I loved Ready Player One and am currently enjoying The Lunar Chronicles.
- The Classics. In theory, I’ve got nothing against the classics. They just aren’t usually what I turn to when selecting a new book.
- Characters suffering from Alzheimer’s or Dementia. We lost my dad to Alzheimer’s a few years ago. I have a few books on my TBR that deal with characters suffering from Alzheimer’s or dementia, but I haven’t been able to read those yet.
- Zombies. They’re just not vampires.
What about you? What books do you pass by, or are at least slow to pick up? Sound off below, and link up to your own TTT if you’ve got one!