I don’t know about you, but I love the end of September. The weather turned cooler the last few days and it just feels like fall. Which means it’s the perfect time to snuggle up under a blanket with a good book and cup of tea. A readers dream.
I read a few different genres this month – two romcoms, two excellent memoirs, a fantasy, two mysteries, and one book that is hard to classify – a fantasy/mystery probably describes it best. You really can’t go wrong with any of these books, there’s a little something for everyone here.
- The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune. 5 Stairs. An unexpected fantasy story that focuses on the importance of acceptance.
- If the Shoe Fits by Julie Murphy. 5 Stairs. I loved this modern day take on Cinderella featuring loads of body positivity with a plus-sized, shoe-obsessed Cindy who ends up on a Bachelor-esque dating show.
- Beautiful Country: A Memoir by Qian Julie Wang. 5 Stairs. This memoir is a moving and important look at the “American Dream” and the struggles immigrants face when they make the decision to leave everything behind in the hopes for a better life.
- Brothers on Three by Abe Streep. 4.5 Stairs. An engaging non-fiction story following the Arlee Warriors high school basketball team.
- The Family Plot by Megan Collins. 4 Stairs. If you like true crime (the dedication: “For the murderinos”), psychological thrillers, and family drama – this book is for you.
- Little Darlings by Melanie Golding. 4 Stairs. I’m not sure how to classify this book – it’s a police procedural, contemporary fiction, mythical/fairy tale, fantasy, and even a little suspense/thriller mystery all wrapped into one.
- Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie. 3 Stairs. Poirot must investigate when murders start occurring at a girls school, but be warned – he doesn’t show up until the last quarter of the book.
- The Dating Dare by Jayci Lee. 3 Stairs. I wanted to love this sexy rom-com, but it didn’t quite click with me.
Started in September
I cheated and started the October #readChristie2021 book a day early. 😉
Are you following me on Instagram? If not, here’s what you missed:
So happy to have finally made it to fall! It’s my favorite season. I don’t have any kind of a plan for my October reading – any recommendations for me?
Happy fall, y’all!