Top Ten Tuesday (TTT) brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish.
May 17: Ten Books I Picked Up On A Whim (however you decide to interpret that (bought or read or something else) — I know most people read based on recommendation but we want to know those books you picked up without really hearing about or knowing much about!)
I am notorious for walking into the library to pick up a book on hold and then walking out with an extra five books in my arms. I love to just browse and see what strikes my fancy. My little guy now asks me to pick out books for him. “I don’t know what I want to read. Pick out something I’d like, Mom.”
The Top Ten Books I Never Heard Of
I’m limiting this to ten books, but I could easily double or even triple the number.
Just randomly picked this book up a few weeks ago:
- Nooks & Crannies – I was looking for something to listen to in the car with my 9 year old. We are both loving this children’s mystery.
Library and Bookstore Random Finds
These books I walked by and couldn’t pass up.
- The Girl on the Train – Honestly, I hadn’t heard of it when I picked this one up. It was new to me!
- The Outsmarting of Criminals – I loved the cover.
- The Yard – I can’t say no to a Scotland Yard thriller, and Alex Grecian proved an excellent choice.
- Landline – I hadn’t heard of Rainbow Rowell but this cover called out to me. I’m so glad it did. One of my favorite books I read last year.
- Death of a Village – I was looking for a new cozy mystery series to try and settled on this book. Hamish Macbeth is now my go-to series.
- Well Schooled in Murder – My first Inspector Lynley, I discovered this book about 20 years ago.
- Timebound – Technically, I didn’t find this one at a bookstore. It was offered as a Kindle First book and I’m so glad I decided to try it.
Fabulous ARC Requests
Sometimes you enter a giveaway for a book (and author) you’ve never heard of, and you just get lucky.
- The Mapping of Love and Death – It’s hard to believe but a few years ago I had never heard of Maisie Dobbs or Jacqueline Winspear. So glad I won this through Goodreads Giveaways!
- Three Martini Lunch – I just read this one, and I loved it.
What about you? What lucky book did you randomly happen upon? Let me know in the comments below, and link up to your own TTT if you’ve got one!