Goodbye August, hello September! Time to stop and reflect for a minute on what I read last month.
- Last Summer at the Golden Hotel by Elyssa Friedland. 5 Stairs. I really enjoyed this family drama set at an aging hotel in the Catskills. A fun read, perfect for summer!
- To Sir, With Love by Lauren Layne. 5 Stairs. This book is basically a retelling of the romcom film You’ve Got Mail. If you like the movie, I think you’ll like this book. If you’ve seen the movie, this storyline is pretty predicable, but I loved it anyway.
- Midsummer Mysteries by Agatha Christie. 4 stairs. This collection of short stories is a nice book to have when you want to sit down and enjoy a quick mystery. These stories are short but well plotted and fun to read.
- Her Royal Highness by Rachel Hawkins. 4 Stairs. Super cute YA romcom set at a remote boarding school in Scotland. This is a fun American girl meets princess story.
- The Silver Waves of Summer edited by David M. Olsen. 4 stairs. The beach is the underlying theme in this collection of short stories, which are all different in style and genre. My favorite stories were the mystery and crime noir, all of which I really enjoyed.
- The Box in the Woods by Maureen Johnson. 3.5 Stairs. I liked this new Truly Devious book, but not quite as much as the original trilogy. It was fun having the characters back together, and I hope there’s another mystery in their future.
- The Guilt Trip by Sandie Jones. 3.5 Stairs. I really wanted to love this domestic noir, but I found the middle got a little slow.
Started in August
Are you following me on Instagram? If not, here’s what you missed:
I really enjoyed my August reads – I had a nice mix of summer fun, love, and mystery! Not to mention a great monthly book haul, with a lot of good choices for September reading. What should I pick up next? Sound off in the comments below and happy September everyone!